How to Apply
To become an EIP Student, a candidate must first be recommended by his or her guidance counselor and/or a teacher. Once nominated, students and their parents are invited to attend an information session where the details of the program are explained and applications are distributed.
Requirements to Apply:
- Currently be in the 7th grade at participating middle school
- Must be 1st generation college bound student
- Recommended by school counselor or teacher
- Attend Information Parent Meeting and receive program application
Participating School Districts & Schools:
- Alexandria City
- Arlington County
- Falls Church City
- Fairfax County
- Manassas City Park
- Manassas Park
- Prince William County
Early Identification Program then selects participants based on the following:
- Recommendation of two adults, one of whom must be a guidance counselor or a teacher. The other can be a community member or a local religious or spiritual leader that can attest to the candidate’s character and ability to perform well in an intense college preparation curriculum.
- Review and assessment of the candidate’s application
- Additional considerations include: an uneven academic record; strong academic record but facing special circumstances (e.g., family in crisis, in need of extra support, etc.); eligibility for free or reduced-price lunch; single-parent family; non- or limited-English-speaking family.
The selection process is competitive, and unfortunately the size of the program limits the number of students selected.Should students decide to apply, they are responsible for completing and submitting the application by the specified deadline. If students are admitted they will be contacted by the EIP Office.
Is EIP Right for the Student?
In deciding if Early Identification Program will be appropriate for a student, please consider the following questions:
- Is he or she serious about wanting to attend college?
- Can the student realistically participate in EIP activities (several Saturdays during the school year and three weeks during the summer)?
- Will the student participate actively and benefit from the weekly academic coaching and mentoring sessions and other components of the program?