To become an EIP Student, a candidate must first be recommended by his or her guidance counselor and/or a teacher. Once nominated, students and their parents are invited to attend an information session where the details of the program are explained and emails are collected for the online application link.
Requirements to Apply:
- Currently be in the 7th grade at participating middle school
- Must be 1st generation college bound student
- Recommended by school counselor or teacher
- Attend Information Parent Meeting and receive program application link
Participating School Districts:
- Alexandria City
- Arlington County
- Falls Church City
- Fairfax County
- Manassas City Park
- Manassas Park
- Prince William County
EIP selects participants based on the following:
- Recommendation of two adults. The first of the two must be a guidance counselor or a teacher. The second can be a community member or a local religious or spiritual leader that can attest to the candidate’s character and ability to perform well in an intense college preparation curriculum.
- Review and assessment of the candidate’s application
- Additional considerations for extraordinary circumstances are given during the process. These include: an uneven academic record; strong academic record but facing special circumstances (e.g., family in crisis, in need of extra support, etc.); eligibility for free or reduced-price lunch; single-parent family; non- or limited-English-speaking family.
The selection process is competitive, and unfortunately the size of the program limits the number of students selected. Should students decide to apply, they are responsible for completing and submitting the application by the specified deadline. Students are responsible for making sure all portions of the application are completed (Student's, Guardian's, and Recommenders' portions). Admitted students and their guardian will be contacted by the EIP office through email.
Is EIP Right for the Student?
In deciding if Early Identification Program will be appropriate for a student, please consider the following questions:
- Is he or she serious about wanting to attend college?
- Can the student realistically participate in all EIP activities? These includes but are not limited to a 3 week academy every summer and monthly Saturdays throughout the school year.
- Will the student actively participate in weekly academic coaching and mentoring sessions?
- Is the family prepared and willing to support the student throughout this 5 year journey?
Important links for Application:
EIP Application Process Overview – English
EIP Application Process Overview – Spanish